Sunday, November 22, 2009

ON ANOTHER'S POST

This is a reflection on the post I Answer to Myself by MilesPerHour @ Thunder From A Quiet Storm: I don't think I use that phrase myself, I Answer to Myself, but if I did, my point would be that I alone am responsible for the choices I make, and the consequences of those choices. I don’t try to lay fault with anyone else when things don’t go right. It's true we don't live in this world alone and the choices we make often, if not always, affect others around us. If we look at our choices in that light, we would be a lot more conscientious about our behaviors, words, and attitudes because that is a huge responsibility, affecting the course of another’s life. If everyone made choices based on what was best for the people around them, instead of what was best for themselves (selfishly), wouldn’t that be a wonderful world. We wouldn’t have to look out for our own best interest because those around us would be doing that, while we’re looking out for them. But life isn’t that way, and although I try, I can honestly say I don’t always put others first. I still have a lot to learn, a lot of progress to make, and a lot of growth to go through.

2 comments:

  1. What you say makes a lot of sense. If we look out for others, and they look out for us, then we all get what we need. For me answering to myself, means answering to my ethics, which includes awareness of the impact I have on others. I also believe that taking responsibility for our choices is incredibly empowering. Great post! - G

    ReplyDelete